- 1 chicken (Kampong chicken) about 1.5 kg
- 3 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp maltose
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
(steaming to melt and set aside to cool)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp licorice powder
- 1 Clove
- 4 red chili padi
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Clean and butterfly chicken, pat dry and marinate with salt marinates for 1 hour.
- Minced chili padi and garlic and mix with all marinates; season chicken on both side.
- Place chicken with skin facing up, apply skin coating sauce on chicken skin and leave it dry; repeat until all sauce used.
- Place chicken into Buffalo Pro Chef Plus (skin facing upward), select “thaw” function, adjust the temperature to 90 degrees, adjust timing to 1 hour and start cooking. (to dry the skin)
- After 1 hour, select “Barbecue” function and bake for 30 minutes and dish is ready.
How to butterfly chicken
Place the chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using kitchen shears or a large knife, cut along one side of the backbone from the tail to the neck. Pull open the bird, then cut down the other side of the backbone to free it. (Discard the backbone or save it for stock.) Turn the chicken, breast side up, and open it as flat as possible, like a book. Press down firmly on the breast to break the breastbone—you will hear popping noises—and flatten the bird.